Following on in our explorations of South Korea. If you’re ever in South Korea and looking for a budget-friendly shopping experience, then Daiso Value Store is the place to go. The brand chain of value stores has operations worldwide. Daiso is a household name in Singapore known for their $2 range of quality products. Are the Daiso in South Korea any different? Let’s check it out.
In a nutshell, Daiso is a Japanese-based chain store that sells a wide range of products at an affordable price. Almost everything priced at 1000 won (around $1 USD). Let’s explore what makes Daiso so popular among South Koreans and why it’s worth checking out.
An accessible commonplace
Furthermore, your can find Daiso stores pretty much everywhere in South Korea. You can chance upon them conveniently located in major cities and towns. This makes their stores easily accessible to patrons. Also, it is not uncommon to find the stores strategically located in busy high-traffic shopping areas or near subway stations.
Also, Daiso stores can be found littered about all about Seoul city. You can find them particularly in large malls or shopping districts. It is ironic that one of Koreas favorite value store is a Daiso, this is not different from the offering from Daiso stores in Singapore too.
Moreover, the store’s layout is easy for you to navigate the various sections of interest in the store. The aisles and sections are well-labelled with clear signs. You can easily find what you’re looking for by simply following the signage on the shelves.
Additionally, notably the Daiso here does not have a flat rate for items on sale. We also increasingly seeing this in Singapore Daisos too with a mix of different prices items sold with the mix of regular $2 prices items too.
However, what strikes me is that there are many items in sale here under the 2000 won mark. Meaning they cost under $2 a pop. Almost everything in the store costs only 1,000 won, which is cheaper at approximately US$0.90 or S$1.50.
A Daiso for all your basic needs
Moreover, the store here in Seoul city selections does rival Singapore offerings in terms of variety. The Daiso I visited in a suburb mall spans two floors, served by elevator sand stairs. Also, this layout and offerings is very similar to the Daisos we see in Japan, such as Tokyo city too, where items on sales all have different prices ranges.
Also, the products are of good quality despite the low prices. Daiso’s products are not only affordable, but are generally practical and functional which fills your day to day needs. This includes products ranging from kitchenware to beauty products, home décor to stationery, and even electronics. There is even a car section which caters to more of a DIY market. Here you can find car cleaning fluids and even small bottles of engine oil, something you can’t find in Singapore Daisos.
Value for Money items
In addition, one of the reasons why Daiso is so popular is because of its value for money. The store offers an extensive range of products at very affordable prices.
Moreover, an attraction of Daiso stores are their product affordability. Their chain of stores offer a wide range of items. These are sold at the affordable prices the estalbishment is known for. This makes Daiso here an attractive shopping option, especially if you are on a budget. Checking out their selections on a random walk-through, you can find everything from the essentials like household items, kitchenware, stationery, beauty products, to even quick nibbles and snacks. Interestingly, most of these in-store items are all priced at 1000 won or less. It is tad the perfect place to shop for quick everyday essentials without breaking the bank.
Value Items on Sale
Daiso stores offers a curated, yet extensive range of products. Here, you can find all the essentials you probably need at the store. Here are some of the most popular items that you can find at Daiso:
- Household items: Daiso offers a variety of day-to-day household items. This includes cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, toilet paper, and air fresheners. In winter, you can buy value packs of heat packs as well as light comfort wear here very cheaply.
- Kitchenware: You can find a wide range of kitchenware at Daiso, including cutlery, cups, plates, and cooking utensils. You could literally stock an entire kitchen here spoons, forks, knives, and chopsticks, some priced way under $2 a pop too. Also, if you are into baking, Daiso also got you well-covered. The store also offers baking supplies such as measuring cups, spatulas, and baking sheets. The range is not top-tier in quality. But still, is Daiso’s kitchenware range great for those starting out cooking or baking without having to invest too much into a hobby.
- Beauty products: South Korea is a beauty capital of the world. Here, you be spoiled with Diaso’s large range of skin care and grooming products. The beauty product and accessories section is extensively large, and for good reason too, after all we are in the beauty capital of the world. Daiso’s beauty range is also popular among shoppers. Moreover, Daiso offers a range of skincare and beauty products. Examples includes facial masks, cleansing oils, makeup remover wipes, and makeup brushes. Also, these products are affordable and are of good quality. This makes them perfect for those who want to try out new beauty and wellness products on a tight budget.
- Stationery and Toys: If you’re a fan of stationery, then you’ll love Daiso’s selection of pens, pencils, notebooks, and other stationery items. Daiso’s stationery range is one of its most popular products for their quirky Japanese orgin. The stores here offers tad a wide range of stationery items. This ranges from notebooks to pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, and much more. The store also offers unique Japanese stationery items, such as stickers, washi tape, and decorative pens. These are perfect for those who love to keep their stationery collection looking stylish. Also, the Toy selection is rather extensive. Here, you can find stuffed toys and cute Korean souvenirs, some with a Korean flair to it too. But most toys are cheap and plasticity akin to the ones we saw at the Changsindong Stationary and Toy Street near Dongdaemun in Central Seoul.
- Snacks and Korean Instant Ramen: This is the things I find most value. Daiso also has a variety of snacks, such as chips, crackers, and chocolates, which are perfect for a quick snack on the go. A delightful find here are their very affordable 1000 won Korean ramen. These instant meals has a cult following and the delicacy. Moreover, these can be found cheaply here too and comes well-loaded with ingredients like dried fish cake and vegetables. In comparison, you only get a noodle cake for cheapest ramen you find in Singapore at $1.70.
- Home Décor: There is also an extensive crafts, gardening and novelty section with mugs. Daiso’s home décor range is great if you are looking to spruce up your home living space without breaking the bank. Also, completing the array of home décor items are photo frames, decorative candles, throw pillows, and wall décor. These items can add a touch of personality and style to any living space without looking too cheap.
All in all, there is no supporting the invasion of Daiso, Japanese fast retailer. Interesting to see how is the stores in Korea different from the ones in Singapore. Remarkably, South Korea has yet not been invaded by the likes of Don Don Donki. They are a Japanese fast retailer which took Singapore by storm when they entered the country since 2018.
With almost everything priced at 1000 won, the stores offers affordability, accessibility, and wide range of products for those on a budget in South Korea, especially in South Korea’s capital city of Seoul. It makes for an attractive shopping option for both locals and tourists. So, if you’re ever in South Korea, make sure to check out Daiso and experience the convenience of shopping for value items at a bargain price.