Got this urgent appeal from Dr Saba Iqbal from the Down Syndrome Association Singapore, it’s regarding the need for volunteers on Saturday 29th December 2007, get your family, friends, relatives! Do drop DSA a line if you happen to be free that day to help out for a good cause!
DOWN SYNDROME ASSOCIATION FLAG DAY 2007 29 DECEMBER 2007
Greetings from Down Syndrome Association (Singapore)!
On behalf of persons with Down syndrome and their families, I am appealing to your youth group/union/club for your support by assisting us in selling flags on our Flag Day to be held on Saturday, 29 December 2007.
Down Syndrome Association (Singapore) [DSA] is a self-funding, non-profit, voluntary welfare organization that looks after the needs of people with Down syndrome in Singapore. We are totally dependent on institutions, organisations and kind volunteers such as yourself, to raise funds through our events such as the Flag Day.
We need to raise $800,000 this year in order to continue serving the needs of the children and adults with Down syndrome and their families. The DSA Flag Day serves as an important platform for DSA to raise much-needed funds and we hope to be able to raise at least S$135,000 through this event.
- To continue providing relevant programmes and services for the Down syndrome community and their families in Singapore
- To provide subsidies of programme fees and services to members with Down syndrome and their families.
- To operate Down Syndrome Association’s two centres
Some of the initiatives and programmes of DSA which benefit persons with Down syndrome include:
- The Adult Enhancement Programme (AEP) which strives to enhance the independent living skills and integration of adults with Down syndrome into the community through the acquisition of skills such as utilizing public transportation, food preparation and employability skills;
- Enrichment programmes that tap the creativity of persons with Down syndrome through the visual and performing arts by drawing out their artistic talents, enhancing their motor skills and giving them an opportunity to build on their self esteem among others.
As you may have realised, this year, our Flag Day falls during the school holiday period. We are therefore facing much difficulty finding volunteers because Secondary Schools are unable to lend us a hand. However, we are hoping that your gracious support will contribute to the success of our Flag Day and ultimately provide us with the funds necessary to address the growing needs and concerns of persons with Down syndrome and their families.
Please find attached the Flag Day Reply Form for your reference. I would appreciate it interested members of your group/union/club could fill up the attached form and email/fax it to us by Monday, 12 November 2007.
In the meantime, should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact my colleague, Miss Lavannya Elangovan at Tel: 62783907 ext13, Fax: 62783908 or email: email@example.com
Dr Saba Iqbal
Down Syndrome Association (Singapore)
Download flag day application/donation form from Shaunchng.com (thank you for all your aid and support! – Event expired, link has been taken down). Kindly complete the form and Email or fax it to DSA before 12 November 2007.