And so there was, the closing of the Torino 2006 winter Olympics in Italy, marking another entry in the olympic history. It was a good event, especially notable are the cross country skiing, speed/figure skating & adrenaline rushing blobsled events. Not to mention the rather interesting bialthon & curling event.
Too bad Singapore is a tropical country, (with a real obvious lack of snow on the equator, together with the sports which goes with it that is). The thing which always set the conventional Olympics & winter Olympics apart are the rather perceived “unique sports” which we people in the tropics are often alienated too, maybe that is why I personally find the winter Olympics more interesting to watch. But otherwise the Olympic spirit & sportsmanship will always live on no matter the event. Its just the Olympic ambiance. With that, here are the final results of the games:
- Germany – 11 Gold, 12 Silver, 6 Bronze, Total 29
- United States – 9 Gold, 9 Silver, 7 Bronze, Total 25
- Austria – 9 Gold, 7 Silver, 7 Bronze, Total 23
- Russian Fed. – 8 Gold, 6 Silver, 8 Bronze, Total 22
- Canada – 7 Gold, 10 Silver, 7 Bronze, Total 24
Till then, we will meet the winter games again in 2010, Vancouver.